Savvy Science

The thoughts of a rural science educator, trying her best to bring 21st century skills to her students.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The stress of stress :)

I am sitting here in my teacher desk, observing my students take their midterm exam.  I will be the first to admit that I am not what I would consider a difficult teacher.  I try to listen to my students, understand the stresses that they going through and set them up for a situation where they can be successful.  That being said.. it is exam week and students are under an extreme amount of stress.  Why?  The exam I am giving is not hard in my opinion, but fair.  They are given a 5 question curve off the top to account for questions that they may not know, and the mother of all gifts: ITS OPEN NOTES and TESTS!!!!   This all being taken into account, what result to I get?  Well.. They are still taking it so I cannot tell you, but I can say that the students are all focused, I haven't seen any wondering eyes, and the best part: 45 minutes into the exam and no one has turned it in yet.  I generally always have 3-4 students who fly through it, not caring about what their score is in the end.  I think this is because they feel like they don't have a hope or a prayer.  But allowing my students to use their notes (a product of their efforts through the semester) and their former tests (if they took the time to correct them, they are smiling right now)  has empowered them in a way that I have never seen.  I am not saying that all teachers should make all exams open notes, open former tests or let them know there is a curve right off the bat.. but for my students it has allowed them to get rid of "the stress.. of stress" and settle into a true assessment of their character and ability.   I love my job! I may not be the most conventional teacher on the block, and some may ridicule my strategy.. but if each of their parents could see them right now.. and effort that they are putting into this exam, I think they would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment